189 Skilled Independent Visa
The Points-tested stream of a Subclass 189 Visa is permanent residency granted to individuals in prescribed occupations.
To qualify for a Subclass 189 in this stream, the applicant must:
- Be in an eligible occupation;
- Be invited on Skillselect to apply;
- Have a positive skills assessment from no more than 3 years ago;
- Have competent English; and
- Have the same Schedule 6D points as claimed in the Expression of Interest (EOI).
Only Individuals in specified occupations are eligible to apply for Subclass 189 visas. The list of these occupations is referred to as the “Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List” and is the most restrictive of all occupation lists applicable in the Australian migration scheme.
Invitations for Subclass 189 visas operate under an annual quota for a whole financial year. This quota is divided on a monthly basis, and in each round a set number of persons are issued invitations on the basis of their EOI. Applicants are prioritised firstly by the number of points and the date on which their EOI was lodged.
Because the demand often outstrips the supply, the minimum threshold points to secure an invitation varies each month depending on the level of competition amongst all EOIs. Some competitive occupations are subject to additional restrictions, rendering receipt of the invitation more difficult.
For each eligible occupation, an authority is tasked with assessment of the suitability of applicants for the corresponding occupation. This process of assessment is known as “Skills Assessment.” Each assessor operates with its own standards, procedures and prerequisites. For certain occupations, multiple bodies may conduct skills assessments for migration purposes.
Applicable Public Interest Criteria
4001, 4002, 4003, 4004, 4020, 4021 and 4019 (if applicable)
Applicable Special Return Criteria
5001, 5002 and 5010
No conditions attached to Subclass 189 visas.
First instalment payable at the time of application;
- Base application charge: $4,640
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $2,320
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is less than 18: $1,160
Second instalment payable prior to visa grant;
- Applicants aged 18 and over who do not demonstrate functional English: $4,885