DAMA for Pilbara
The region of Pilbara in Western Australia has entered into a Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA), to address skills shortages in its region. The Pilbara DAMA provides increased flexibility for skilled migrants compared to the standard employer sponsored immigration programs. The key benefits of the Pilbara DAMA include:
- The labor agreement can be adjusted in response to changing business needs, potentially leading to the inclusion of additional occupations or an increase in nomination limits.
- Multiple visa options available: Subclass 482 TSS; 186 ENS; 494 SESR leading to 191 PESR.
- Offering permanent visa pathways for all 66 occupations in the Pilbara DAMA Occupation list.
- Concessions on the Age, English language proficiency and Income Threshold.
- Employers do not need to have identified the prospective skilled migrant to access a DAMA labour agreements:
- The employer can nominate (‘sponsor’) overseas workers already in their employ; or
- Attract suitably skilled and experienced overseas workers by having occupations and positions pre-approved, along with the associated concessions.
For 63 out of the 66 occupations specified in the Pilbara DAMA Occupation list classified as Skill Levels 1-4, the age concession applies to individuals up to the age of 55. For Skill Level 5 occupations listed below, the age concession is 50.
- Car Detailer
- Road Traffic Controller
English Language Concession
The English concession is applicable to 38 out of 66 occupations as indicated in the table below. It means that over half of these occupations will benefit from the Pilbara DAMA.
|Arborist||Carpenter and Joiner||Electrician||Motor Mechanic||Steel Fixer|
|Autoglazier||Chef||Excavator Operator||Pastry Cook||Truck Driver|
|Backhoe Operator||Chemical Plant Operator||Fitter (General)||Pest Control Technician||Tyre Fitter|
|Baker||Child Care Worker||Hairdresser||Road Traffic Controller||Vehicle Painter|
|Bar Attendant (Supervisor)||Concreter||ICT Support Engineer||Rubber Production Machine Operator/Rubber Belt|
|Beauty Therapist||Cook||Loader Operator||Sand Blaster||Water Filter Technician (Water Plant Operator)|
|Butcher or Smallgoods Maker||Crane Hoist OR Lift Operator||Metal Fabricator||Scaffolder|
|Car Detailer||Earthmoving Plant Operator||Metal Machinist (First Class)||Sheet Metal Trade Worker|
482 TSS and 494 SESR Applicants:
- An IELTS score of 5.0 overall (or its equivalent) is required, with no minimum score in each band, unless registration or licensing requires a higher level of English.
186 ENS Applicants:
- An IELTS score of 5.0 overall (or its equivalent) is required, with no component allowed to fall below IELTS 4.0 or its equivalent, except in cases where registration or licensing requires a higher level of English proficiency.
Other accepted English language tests are:
- Occupational English Test (OET);
- Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT);
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test; or
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test.
Minimum Income Concession
As of July 1, 2023, the TSMIT increased from $53,900 to $70,000. However, for 65 out of the 66 occupations covered under the Pilbara DAMA, this amount is reduced to $63,000. The occupation excluded is Child Care Worker (421111).
Here are two (2) types of TSMIT concessions.
|Type 1||Type 2|
|Monetary Earnings||At least Reduced TSMIT||At least Reduced TSMIT|
(Food and Board)
|No more than 10% of|
|Total Annual Earnings||At least Reduced TSMIT||At least TSMIT|
Pathway to Permanent Visa
All occupations in the Pilbara DAMA Occupation List offer access to a specific permanent visa pathway. A TSS visa holder granted under the Pilbara DAMA labor agreement may also become eligible for an ENS visa after three (3) years. Similarly, a SESR visa holder granted under an Pilbara DAMA labor agreement may become eligible for a 191 visa after three (3) years.
*Please note that access to the ENS for Skill Level 5 occupations, as outlined below, is conditional when the applicant holds a TSS visa (refer to section of Permanent Residence Pathway).
- Car Detailer
- Road Traffic Controller