DAMA for East Kimberley
The region of East Kimberley (EK) in Western Australia has entered into a Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA), to address skills shortages in its region. The EK DAMA provides increased flexibility for skilled migrants compared to the standard employer sponsored immigration programs. The key benefits of the EK DAMA include:
- Multiple visa options available: Subclass 482 TSS; 186 ENS; 494 SESR leading to 191 PESR.
- A five-year EK DAMA labor agreement can be modified as needed, allowing for the addition of new occupations, positions, or further concessions at any time.
- Offering permanent visa pathways for all 109 occupations in the EK DAMA Occupation list.
- Concessions on the Age, English language proficiency and Income Threshold.
For 101 out of the 109 occupations specified in the EK DAMA Occupation list, the age concession applies to allow individuals up to the age of 55 to transition to the permanent visas. For eight (8) occupations listed below, the age concession is 50.
- Commercial Cleaner
- Commercial Housekeeper
- Crop Farm Workers (nec)
- Food Trades Assistants (nec)
- Handyperson (includes Yardperson)
- Mixed Production Farm Workers (nec)
- Other Hospitality Workers nec
- Sales Assistant (general)
English Language Concession
English language concessions generally do not apply, except the 36 occupations as written below:
|Agricultural Plant Operator||Commercial Cleaner||Crop Farm Workers (nec)||Forklift Driver||Metal Fitters and Machinists (nec)||Plasterer|
|Automotive Electrician||Commercial Cleaner (Supervisor)||Diesel Motor Mechanic (also Automotive Heavy Mechanic)||Grain, Oilseed, Pulse and Pasture Farm Worker||Metal Machinist (First Class)||Senior Aquaculture, Crop and Forestry Workers (nec)|
|Baker||Commercial Housekeeper||Earthmoving Plant Operator (General)||Handyperson (includes Yardperson)||Mixed Production Farm Workers (nec)||Senior Broadacre Crop Farm Worker|
|Carpenter||Commercial Housekeeper (Supervisor)||Electronic Instrument Trades Worker (inclSecurity Technician)||Horticultural Supervisor or Specialist||Mobile Plant Operators (nec)||Truck Driver (general)|
|Carpenter and Joiner||Cook||Excavator Operator||Loader Operator||Motor Mechanic (General)||Wall and Floor Tiler|
|Chef||Cotton Farm Worker||Fitter-Welder||Metal Fabricator (includes Boilermaker)||Pastrycook||Welder|
TSS and SESR concession:
- An IELTS score of 5.0 overall (or its equivalent) is required, with no minimum score in each band, unless registration or licensing requires a higher level of English.
- An IELTS score of 5.0 overall (or its equivalent) is required, with no component allowed to fall below IELTS 4.0 or its equivalent, except in cases where registration or licensing stipulates a higher level of English proficiency.
Other accepted English language tests are:
- Occupational English Test (OET);
- Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT);
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test; or
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test.
Effective July 1, 2023, the TSMIT increased from $53,900 to $70,000. However, for 71 occupations covered under EK DAMA, this amount is reduced to $63,000.
Here are two types of TSMIT concessions.
|Type 1||Type 2|
|Monetary Earnings||At least Reduced TSMIT||At least Reduced TSMIT|
(Food and Board)
|No more than 10% of|
|Total Annual Earnings||At least Reduced TSMIT||At least TSMIT|
Pathway to Permanent Visa
All occupations in the EK DAMA Occupation List offer access to a specific permanent visa pathway. A TSS visa holder granted under an EK DAMA may also become eligible for an ENS visa after three (3) years. Similarly, a SESR visa holder granted under an EK DAMA may become eligible for a 191 visa after three (3) years.
*Please note that access to the ENS for Skill Level 5 occupations, as outlined below, is conditional when the applicant holds a TSS visa (refer to section 1.13).