Religious Worker

Those yet to undertake formal religious training are directed to pursue alternative visas, such as the Subclass 407 visa if seeking entry to Australia for training purposes.


This visa stream is designed for qualified religious workers who are sponsored to engage in full-time religious work at a religious institution in Australia. Here’s what you need to know:

408 Religious Worker Visa Overview

  • Duration: Subclass 408 visas can be granted for up to 2 years.
  • Eligibility Criteria: Applicants must demonstrate appropriate training, experience, and qualifications to undertake the proposed religious work.


Eligibility Criteria

To qualify for this visa stream, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Agreement: You must have an agreement to work full-time for a religious institution in Australia.
  • Sponsorship or Support: Depending on your circumstances, you will either need sponsorship or support.
  • Apply Online: You can apply for this visa both in and outside Australia, but not in immigration clearance.


Secondary Applicants

You can include members of your family unit in your application.


Alternative Visa for Training

If you have yet to undertake formal religious training, it’s advisable to explore alternative visa options, such as the Subclass 407 visa, especially if your purpose is to enter Australia for training purposes.


Stay Longer

While you cannot extend this visa to stay longer, as a religious worker, you have the option to apply for a second Temporary Activity visa. However, the total stay on the first and second visas cannot exceed four (4) years.


Sponsorship and Support

  • Supporter: If you apply outside Australia and intend to stay for less than 3 months, you don’t need a sponsor, but you must have a supporter who passes the support test.
  • Sponsor: If you apply in Australia or outside Australia with an intention to stay for more than 3 months, you need a sponsor who is a temporary activities sponsor.


Qualifications and Experience

You must possess the appropriate experience and qualifications to fulfil the religious work specified in your agreement.


Scroll to Top