This visa stream is designed for individuals invited to participate in various social or cultural events within Australia, including religious, sporting, academic, and artistic activities. Here is everything you need to know:
408 Invited Participant Visa Overview
- Duration: This stream allows a stay of up to 3 months.
- Eligibility: You must have an invitation to participate in a community-based event, and only participants contributing to the event are eligible to apply.
408 Invited Participant Visa Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for this visa stream, you must have been invited to take part in a community-based event in Australia.
You can include members of your family unit in your visa application.
408 Invited Participant Visa Activities and Examples
With this visa, you can engage in a variety of cultural or social activities, such as:
- Sporting events
- Religious activities
- Artistic performances
- Academic conferences
- Trade fairs
408 Invited Participant Visa – Eligible Participants
- Sportspersons and team support staff (excluding contracted Australian team members)
- Religious ministers and event workers
- Academics invited by tertiary institutions
- Public speakers or lecturers
- Entertainers attending promotional events (not performing)
- Artists and authors presenting their work
- Choreographers conducting workshops with unticketed closing performances
Other Visa Options
Depending on your specific travel reasons, you may want to explore alternative visa options:
- Entertainment Stream: Suitable for entertainers, production crew, or media personnel covering events for an Australian audience.
- Sports Stream: Ideal for sportspersons contracted to play or coach Australian teams, and sports trainees in structured programs lasting more than 3 months.
- Religious Work Stream: If you are engaged in full-time religious work.
- Research Stream: Appropriate if you are invited by a tertiary academic institution for research exceeding 3 months.
- Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) (subclass 400) Visa: For journalists or workers involved in events not intended for an Australian audience.
- Visitor Visa: Suitable for attendees of trade fairs, exhibitions, cultural events, and amateur sportspersons or unpaid volunteers supporting events.