The Subclass 408 visa offers an exciting opportunity to work in Australia’s vibrant entertainment industry. Whether you are a performer, production staff, or support staff, this visa may provide an avenue to Australia’s entertainment possibilities. Here are the key details you need to know:
408 Entertainment Visa Overview
- Duration: This is a temporary visa stream, typically granted for up to two (2) years.
- Multiple Entries: Enjoy the flexibility to travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid.
- Family Inclusion: You can include members of your family unit in your application.
408 Entertainment Activity Categories
When applying for this visa, you may belong to one of the following categories based on your intended role:
- Performing in a government-subsidized film or television production
- Performing in a film or television production not subsidized by the government
- Performing in other entertainment productions not related to film or television
- Working in a production role other than as a performer
- Working as support staff for entertainers or groups
- Working as a performer or support staff for non-profit engagements
- Working on a documentary or commercial for an overseas market
408 Entertainment’s Eligible Work Examples
Your eligible work under this visa can encompass a wide range of roles, such as:
- Acting in a television or film production
- Making a celebrity cameo appearance
- Participating in a reality TV program
- Stand-up comedy
- International music performances
- Live theater
- Documentary presenting
- Celebrity appearances in commercials
- Non-performing production or technical roles
- Journalism and media coverage of events
- Choreographing dance workshops
Other Visa Options
Depending on your specific activity, you may want to explore alternative visa options, such as the Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400) or other Temporary Activity streams.
You must have a supporter to apply for this visa, unless you:
- apply outside Australia, and
- intend to stay in Australia for less than 3 months
Family Inclusion and Visa Duration
You have the flexibility to include family members in your application. The visa allows multiple entries, permitting you to leave and re-enter Australia as needed while it is valid. The visa’s duration depends on the approved activity.
Sponsorship and Contracts
If you intend to stay in Australia for more than 3 months or apply from within Australia, you will need a sponsor and a contract for your performance or work. Evidence of non-profit engagements or overseas market projects may also be required.