If you want to apply for ACT nomination for a Skilled Nominated (Permanent) visa (subclass 190) as a Canberra resident, you must meet the following criteria at the date you submit the Canberra Matrix.
Common Criteria – Two year commitment
If you are nominated by the ACT to apply for a 190 visa, you must live and work in Canberra for at least two years from visa grant, or if you are moving from overseas, date of arrival in Canberra.
Common Criteria – Canberra Matrix
You can register an interest in applying for ACT 190 nomination by completing a score-based ‘Canberra Matrix’ where points can be claimed against the specific criteria including skilled employment, English proficiency, formal qualifications, length of ACT residence / study, investment activity and close family ties, and so on. You will then be ranked on the number of points you have claimed. Those who rank high enough will be invited to apply for ACT nomination.
The Canberra Matrix is weighted to ensure that applicants who will make, or have made, a positive economic contribution to the Territory and/ or have demonstrated a genuine commitment to the ACT are more likely to be ranked and invited to apply for ACT nomination.
Common Criteria – English
You meet the Department of Home Affairs requirement for ‘Proficient’ or ‘Superior’ English unless your nominated occupation:
- Is Chef 351311; or,
- Has an ANZSCO skill level of 3 to 5.
Common Criteria – Nominated Occupations
Your nominated occupation must be on the ACT Critical Skills List, unless exemptiosn apply in the Canberra Resident Applicant stream.
Canberra Resident Applicant stream
If your nominated occupation is not on the ACT Critical Skills List, you must meet one of the following:
- You are the primary holder of a subclass 482 visa sponsored by an ACT employer. You have worked in Canberra in your nominated occupation for the sponsoring ACT employer for the last three (3) months. Your nominated occupation does not have to be on the ACT Critical Skills List if it is on the relevant Department of Home Affairs Skilled Occupation List.
- You are the majority owner of an eligible registered business located in the ACT and you are claiming Matrix points in the Small Business Owner category. Your nominated occupation does not have to be on the ACT Critical Skills List if it is on the relevant Department of Home Affairs Skilled Occupation List.
- The following business types are not eligible: sub tenancy, ride-share, taxi, delivery, courier services, or an on-sold business previously used to qualify for ACT nomination.
Residence in Canberra
You lived in Canberra for at least six (6) months at date of Canberra Matrix submission, and continue to do so until the date of invitation. Your bank statements / transaction history must record ACT banking activity for this period.
You may also live within a 30-minute commuting distance in NSW e.g., Queanbeyan, Jerrabomberra, and Googong.
Employment in Canberra
You worked in Canberra for at least 26 weeks during which you could have worked for more than one employer, in self-employment , and/ or as a Small Business Owner. Employment types can be combined, provided you meet the criteria for each and that you meet the overall hourly or earnings requirements as expressed below.
- You worked a minimum of 30 hours per week in at least 26 out of the 30 weeks before Canberra Matrix submission. Your payslips and bank statements / transaction history must record the income / salary payments (weekly, fortnightly, or monthly) for the claimed period of employment.
- You work in a genuine position in accordance with Australian terms and conditions of employment. Your weekly income is no less than the relevant award or market salary rate. Unpaid employment such as internships, stipends, scholarships, and volunteer positions, are not eligible.
- If you are working in Canberra for an interstate employer, there must be a genuine reason for why you are based in Canberra. You cannot be working online, or from a home office.
Self-employment and you are not claiming Matrix points as a Small Business Owner:
- Your total (taxable) income is at least $1,000 per week in at least 26 out of the 30 weeks before Canberra Matrix submission.
- You have at least 12 months ACT business activity on your ABN.
- You MUST sign a statutory declaration confirming your ABN, location of ACT business, start date of ACT business activity, duties, and annual income.
Small Business Owner
- You MUST sign a statutory declaration confirming the details of your business activity, including your ABN, how many people you employ (and for how long), location of ACT business, start date of ACT business activity, duties and annual income.
Overseas Applicant stream
You must have at least three (3) years full-time, post graduate work experience in your nominated occupation in the last five (5) years. The work experience must be assessed as relevant by the assessing body in your points tested skill assessment (if the points advice service is provided by the assessing body).
In addition, your skills and experience in the nominated occupation are relevant to the ACT economy.
You and any migrating dependents (except children enrolled at school in the ACT) must:
- Be currently living overseas.
- Have not lived in Australia for the last 12 months.
- Not hold a current Australian visa (or bridging visa) with the exception of an Australian visitor visa.
You have access to sufficient money to fund your migration and settlement in Canberra.