Australian citizens or permanent residents may sponsor their parents as permanent residents. Whilst this visa is not age-restricted and comparatively cheaper than other alternatives, the standard parent visa is limited to a handful number of applicants each financial year. This has resulted in an enormous backlog with the applications being processed over decades.
The assessment for this visa is comprised of 2 stages where:
- Preliminary – The Department checks eligibility, and either add the application to the queue or refuse it; and
- Final – The Department continues assessing the application, and makes a decision when a place becomes available.
Criteria for Grant
- The applicants must be sponsored by a child who is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen; and
- They must satisfy the “Balance of Family Test“; and
- They must not have any other pending parent visa application.
Benefit of the Parent Visa
Upon being granted a Parent visa, an applicant can:
- Reside in Australia permanently.
- Study and work in Australia.
- Register for Medicare.
- Sponsor family members.
- Apply for Australian Citizenship, if eligible.
- Make multiple trips to and from Australia for a duration of five (5) years (*A visa holder must apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) when re-entering Australia).
Relevant Public Interest Criteria:
4001, 4002, 4003, 4004, 4005, 4009, 4010, 4020, 4021 and 4019 (if applicable).
Relevant Special Return Criteria:
5001, 5002 and 5010
The visa must specify the date for first entry. Additionally, the following conditions may be imposed:
8502: The holder of the visa must not enter Australia before the entry to Australia of a person specified in the visa.
8515: The holder of the visa must not marry or enter into a de facto relationship before entering Australia.
Subclass 103 is payable in 2 instalments.
- Base application charge: $4,990
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $2,495
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is less than 18: $1,250
- Second instalment: $2,065
Prior to the visa(s) being granted, the sponsors must provide a bond to be held for 10 years:
- Sponsorship of single parent: $5,000
- Sponsorship of two parents: $7,000