To be eligible for this visa, you must demonstrate that you have the financial capacity to support your settlement in Queensland. Moreover, it is required that you have a genuine intention to reside in Queensland. This visa specifically targets start-up founders and early-stage entrepreneurs who intend to establish a business in Queensland with significant growth potential, ultimately leading to the creation of local employment opportunities. Your business plan should outline an entrepreneurial activity that aims to commercialize a product or service.
Applicants must be under the age of 55 years.
You must have at least Competent English
Migration Queensland nomination criteria
- Commitment to Queensland
- The viability of the business plan for your entrepreneurial activity
- Adequate funding available to deliver your business plan.
 Commitment to Queensland
- Queensland provides a dynamic innovation ecosystem that presents various avenues to establish business networks and forge connections at both local and global levels. Innovation and economic development are fostered across a wide range of priority sectors. Applicants who can showcase their ability to enrich Queensland’s innovation ecosystem will receive favorable consideration.
- It is essential to possess a genuine and practical dedication to permanently reside and work in Queensland, while actively contributing to the state’s economy and society through entrepreneurial activities.
- Your proposed business should meet the following criteria:
- It must have its headquarters located in Queensland.
- It must hold a registered ABN (Australian Business Number).
 Business Plan
- Your business plan should clearly demonstrate how the entrepreneurial activity will result in the successful commercialization of new or enhanced products or services, or the establishment of a new business with the potential to become a sustainable high-growth start-up.
- Applicants who have successfully completed or are currently participating in a Start-up Accelerator program or incubator program are held in high regard.
- The Business Plan needs to cover:
- Innovation and Competitive Advantage
- Market Potential
- Connecting in Queensland
- Funding Provider
You are required to provide proof of sufficient funding from a authorized funding provider to support the implementation of the entrepreneurial activity. Preferred funding providers may include (but are not limited to):
- Australian Government agency
- Publicly funded research or innovation organisation
- Queensland higher education provider, or
- Investor registered as an Australian Venture Capital Limited Partnershipor Early-Stage Venture Capital Limited Partnership
- Australian Investment Councilmembers – who are private capital investment firms
- Angel Loop Inc. – an Angel Investor Network.
- Other source of Funds
- Settlement Funds
- You must have sufficient funds for settlement in Queensland.
- You will receive are required to complete a Settlement Funds Declaration form, if invited by Migration Queensland to lodge an application.
Queensland Preferred Sectors
Applications that align with Queensland’s competitive advantages will receive priority consideration. While the following list is not exhaustive, strong emphasis will be placed on applications that support:
- Climate Change Mitigation
- Food or Agricultural Technology
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Digital Technologies, eg cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Extended Reality (XR), robotics, autonomy, software-as-a-service (SaaS)
- Screen Industry
- Hydrogen Industry Development
- Resources Recovery
- Mining Equipment, Technology and Services
Business proposals that lack a unique, differentiated product, service, or business model will not be considered eligible for the 188 – Entrepreneurial stream. Typically, this refers to proposals falling within the following categories:
- Cafés and restaurants
- Consulting businesses
- Export/import businesses
- Retail businesses
- Property development
- Residential real estate
- Labour hire
- Purchase of an existing enterprise or a franchise in Queensland.
Make sure that you meet the requirements set by both Home Affairs and Migration Queensland and ensure that you have all the necessary documentation prepared prior to submitting your application.
For Queensland state nomination, you should ensure that all information is included in your EOI.
Migration Queensland evaluates all Expression of Interest (EOI) submissions that fulfill the criteria specified by both Home Affairs and Migration Queensland. If your EOI is successful, you will receive an email invitation to proceed with the application process. At that stage, you will be required to submit the following documents:
After receiving an invitation from Migration Queensland, follow these steps:
- Upload the required documents.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee to finalize your application. It is important not to make the payment until you have received the invitation to apply and have uploaded all the necessary documents.
Migration Queensland will then review your application and may contact you for additional information if needed.
Once Migration Queensland has received and approved your completed application, you will receive confirmation of Queensland nomination. Subsequently, the Department of Home Affairs will invite you to lodge your visa application. You will have a 60-day timeframe to submit your application to the Department of Home Affairs.
188E Entrepreneur Visa
Australian Business Innovation Visa
188E NSW | 188E VIC | 188E QLD | 188E SA | 188E WA