482 TSS Visa Application
The final stage of a 482 TSS visa application is to apply for the 482 TSS visa. This is the only application submitted directly by the visa applicant. The applicable criteria, other than being successfully nominated by an employer sponsor, can be summarized as the following:
- Skills assessment, if required for your occupation and nationality;
- Compliance with the conditions of your previous Australian visa, where applicable;
- Evidence of the genuine intention to work in the nominated occupation;
- Demonstration of the requisite skills, qualifications and experience for the nominated position;
- At least two (2) years of prior experience in the nominated occupation, or a related field;
- Relevant English scores;
- Health insurance for the entire applicants; and
- The position is within the sponsoring business and their premises, or an associated entity and their premises.
Skills Assessment – 482 TSS Visa
Certain TSS primary visa applicants, irrespective of visa stream, are required to have either commenced a skills assessment process, or provide evidence of a positive skills assessment outcome. In the process, the applicant is assessed on their qualifications and experience, and be determined a suitable occupation for the nomination.
Skills assessments are only required where the applicant is part of a class of persons specified in the legislative instrument. Most of these occupations are trade occupations. Note that a TSS skills assessment is not equivalent to a skills assessment for the purposes of other visa subclasses, such as Subclasses 186, 189 or 190. As such, a TSS skills assessment will not be sufficient to support a permanent residency application.
In rare cases, a discretionary skills assessment may be requested by the Department where it would otherwise be unnecessary. Applicants would then be required to undertake a skills assessment to meet this visa criterion.
If you are in Australia at the time at which your 482 TSS visa application is decided, you must have substantially complied with all conditions of your current or most recent substantive visa, as well as any conditions applicable to bridging visas held by you. Any breach whilst waiting for this 482 TSS visa may prejudice your current visa application.
A 482 TSS visa can only be granted where the Department is satisfied that:
- The position is genuine; and
- The visa applicant’s intention to perform the occupation is genuine.
Although an approval of an associated nomination usually satisfies this criterion, further inquiries may still be made especially if adverse information has subsequently come to light. In some instances, inconsistencies between the nominated position and the credentials of the applicant may give rise to a presumption of a lack of genuineness. For example, where an applicant with little experience is nominated for a specialist management position.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
Applicants must demonstrate that they possess the skills, qualifications and professional experience necessary to perform the nominated occupation. This assessment involves a comparison of the applicant’s qualifications and work history against the ANZSCO occupation chosen in the nomination application.
This criterion does not require obtaining all necessary occupational licencing unless licensed occupations, such as electricians, medical practitioners.
482 TSS Visa for Medical Doctors
Medical doctors must provide evidence that the National Medical Board has recognised their qualifications, and that they are registered to practice.
2 Years Work Experience
Visa applicants are required to have worked in the nominated occupation, or a related field, for at least two (2) years. The policy requires that this work experience be:
- Full-time, meaning 38 hours per week, or at least between 32 and 45 hours per week under an industry agreement; and
- Completed within the last five (5) years, though not necessarily continuously.
Experience gained as part of a Masters or PhD may be counted for relevant occupations, such as medical and research occupations.
Other study-related work, such as work placements or internships may be considered if undertaken as part of a CRICOS registered course of study and is relevant to the occupation. Under the policy, this may include clinical placements for medical practitioners and the internship component of a Professional Year Program.
English requirements are outlined under the legislative instrument. The English requirements vary between streams.
Subclass 482 (Temporary Skill Shortage) visa in the Short‑term stream
- IELTS – overall band score of at least 5.0 – score of at least 4.5 for each test component.
- PTE – overall band score of at least 36 – score of at least 30 for each test component.
Subclass 482 (Temporary Skill Shortage) visa in the Medium‑term stream
- IELTS – overall band score of at least 5.0 – score of at least 5.0 for each test component.
- PTE – overall band score of at least 36 – score of at least 36 for each test component.
Applicants holding passports from the following countries are exempted from undertaking a formal English test:
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- New Zealand
- Republic of Ireland
Other exempt categories of applicant include:
- Those who have completed five (5) years of full-time secondary or tertiary study, where the medium of instruction was English.
- Those who have obtained some form of necessary professional licencing in relation to the nomination occupation which imposes a minimum English score equivalent or superior to that required by the TSS visa requirements.
- Those working for an overseas business and are coming to work in Australia for said company or its associated entity and have been nominated for a position with annual earnings of at least $96,400.
Diplomatic and consular staff are similarly exempt from the 482 TSS English requirements.
 Short Term Stream
- Base application charge: $1,455
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $1,455
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is less than 18: $365
 Medium/Long Term Stream and Labour Agreement Stream
- Base application charge: $3,035
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $3,035
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is less than 18: $760
TSS (Subclass 482) Visa
Australian Employer Sponsored Visa
NSW | VIC | QLD | SA | WA