Medium Term Stream

The Medium-term Stream of the Subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage visa permits sponsorship of foreign workers by Australian businesses for a period of up to four (4) years in most circumstances.

This stream further offers a pathway to permanent residency via the Temporary Residence Transition stream of the Subclass 186 Employer Nominated Scheme visa.


TSS Visa Criteria

In order to qualify for the Medium-term stream, you must meet the following criteria:

  1. Have at least two (2) years of full-time or full-time equivalent paid work experience in an occupation that is either;
    • Listed under the Medium to Long-term Strategic Skills List; or
    • Listed under the Regional Occupation List.
  2. Be nominated by an Australian employer. If the occupation is on the Regional Occupation List, the position must be located within “Regional Australia.”
  3. Be offered a minimum annual salary of at least AUD$70,000 by that employer.
  4. Achieve an English test result equivalent to 5 in each component and 5 overall in IELTS.
  5. Meet all applicable health and character criteria.
  6. Take out adequate private health insurance.

Note citizens of Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, UK and US are exempt from English testing requirements, as are those who have completed a cumulative five (5) years of secondary or tertiary schooling conducted in the English language. 

Further, whilst there is no age limit for this visa, persons aged 45 and above will generally not be able to transition to permanent residency unless a proscribed exemption applies. These exceptions relate primarily to academics, medical practitioners, and high-income-earning applicants.   


Once your TSS Visa is Granted

Whilst holding your Subclass 482 visa, you must work for your sponsoring employer on a full-time basis whilst you remain in Australia. Your spouse or partner will enjoy unrestricted work rights.

In most Australian states and territories, Subclass 482 visa holders are generally able to enroll their children into public schooling without incurring international student fees.


Q: What if I Lose My Job

If you are no longer employed by your sponsoring employer, you must locate a new employer to sponsor you under the same occupation within 6 months of leaving your previous position. Failure to find a suitable within this time period will result in visa cancellation. Upon cancellation, it is not generally possible to make a further visa application without first departing Australia.


Q: Can I Change Employers?

It is possible to change employers whilst holding a Subclass 482 visa. Your new employer must submit a new nomination application and pay a fee determined by the duration remaining on your visa. If you will be sponsored under a different occupation, a new Subclass 482 visa application must also be submitted.

Note that you cannot legally work for your new employer until all applications relating to the sponsorship are approved. Working for a new employer whilst your applications remain pending will be a breach of your visa conditions and will form grounds for visa cancellation.  


Permanent Residency Pathways

After remaining with a single sponsoring employer for at least two (2) years, you may be eligible for permanent residency through the Subclass 186 visa.

If you are currently in Australia on a Subclass 482 visa or plan to apply for one, contact our Australian Immigration Lawyers today and receive quality advise for your Australian Permanent Residency visa.


TSS (Subclass 482) Visa
Australian Employer Sponsored Visa 


Scroll to Top