Queensland invites individuals who are interested in owning and managing a new or existing business in the State. This opportunity is offered through a state-nominated 5-year provisional visa, which is a stream of the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) and serves as a pathway to permanent residency via the Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888). The Queensland Government, in collaboration with the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs, manages the state nomination for this visa.
188A QLD Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for nomination for 188A QLD, you must satisfy the following criteria outlined by Migration Queensland:
- Demonstrate a genuine commitment to Queensland.
- Possess net business and personal assets of at least A$1.25 million that are ready to be transferred to Queensland after visa approval.
- Make a business investment in one or two qualifying businesses in Queensland, with a minimum investment of A$400,000 for the Greater Brisbane and Gold Coast regions or A$300,000 for regional Queensland.
- Export businesses must develop international markets for Queensland products.
- General importing businesses will not be accepted unless the imported products are highly innovative, technologically advanced, or currently unavailable in Queensland. Value-added services such as custom design, product assembly, installation, testing, repair, and maintenance should be provided for imported products.
- Property development businesses will not be considered.
188A QLD Application Process
Review the eligibility criteria, visa conditions, and document checklist. Ensure that you meet both sets of criteria and have all the necessary documentation ready before applying.
Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) with SkillSelect for Queensland state nomination. Provide comprehensive information, including employment experience, in your EOI. Preferential treatment is given to applicants who select “Queensland” as their preferred nominating state over those who choose “Any” state.
Migration Queensland assesses all EOIs that meet the criteria. If successful, you will receive an email invitation to lodge an application and will be asked to submit various documents, including the Queensland State Nomination Application form, Business Proposal Form, Home Affairs Form 1139A, and Passport Bio-page. All documents must be uploaded digitally through the Document Portal link provided in the invitation email. Migration Queensland no longer accepts documents via email or post. Multiple documents should be merged and saved as a single file.
After receiving the invitation from Migration Queensland, upload the required documents and pay the non-refundable application fee to finalize your application. Only pay the fee after being invited to apply and uploading all the necessary documents. Migration Queensland will review your application and may request additional information if needed.
Once Migration Queensland approves your completed application, you will receive confirmation of Queensland nomination and an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs to lodge your visa application. You will have 60 days to submit your visa application. Note that if you discover an error in your submitted EOI after receiving a nomination or miss the visa application lodgement date, you may need to wait 6 months before reapplying for Queensland nomination.
188A Business Visa
Australian Business Innovation Visa
188A NSW | 188A VIC | 188A QLD | 188A SA | 188A WA